Government spending on torture was increased by the Bush administration. The costs include:
- The salaries of the torturers
- A portion of the salaries of the members of the executive branch who authorized the torture, including Secretary of State Rumsfeld, Vice President Cheney, and President Bush.
- The facilities cost where the torture was carried out
- A portion of the salaries of the legal staff who produced torture-related documents
- A portion of the salaries of the political staff who coined euphemisms for torture such as "enhanced interrogation"
- A portion of the cost of Congressional time devoted to investigating torture
- Any monies paid by the U.S. to settle claims of torture victims